This Lentil Mushroom Hand Pie recipe featuring our Pear Walnut Chutney is a great alternative for your vegan friends during the Holidays.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2/3 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)
- 1 cup cooked lentils (about half of a 19 oz. can)
- ¼ cup Pear Walnut Chutney
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 box (450g) frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sautee onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the carrot, celery, mushrooms, and fresh herbs and cook until softened.
- Add lentils and Pear Walnut Chutney and mix to combine. Cook until liquid evaporates then season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove lentil filling from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature before assembling the hand pies. The filling can be made a day in advance and refrigerated until step 5.
- Unroll 2 sheets of thawed puff pastry. Cut each sheet into 9 even squares using a sharp knife.
- Spoon 2 tbsp of lentil filling onto the centre of 9 puff pastry pieces; leave a 1cm border. Brush around the edges with the egg wash then seal with remaining pieces of puff pastry. Use a fork to make indents around the edges and poke a few holes on the top to allow steam to escape when baking.
- Brush the tops of each pie with more egg wash. Refrigerate the assembled hand pies while the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Once heated, bake hand pies for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy while warm!