8 oz (227g) elbow macaroni pasta
¼ cup butter
2 tsp curry powder
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
3 cups (340g) shredded cheddar cheese, divided (mix of yellow and white)
2 oz (57g) cream cheese
1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
¼ tsp black pepper
⅓ cup Spiced Mango Chutney
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium high heat and salt generously. Once boiling, cook pasta for 2 minutes less than the package recommends for al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to 400°F and grease an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the curry powder and let it toast for a few seconds before adding the flour. Whisk for a minute to cook the roux.
- Slowly pour in the milk while whisking until the mixture is smooth. Turn up the heat and bring to a simmer, whisking every so often.
- Whisk in 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese and cream cheese until melted and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, add the reserved pasta water a splash at a time.
- Mix the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce. Pour half of the pasta into the greased casserole dish then top with a few dollops of Spiced Mango Chutney and half of the remaining shredded cheese. Repeat one more layer of pasta-chutney-cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown and bubbling.