- 1 (19oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 celery rib, finely dice
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Dijon Apple Chutney
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard, plus more for assembly
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise, plus more for assembly
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh baguette, sliced lengthwise
- Cucumber slices
- In a large mixing bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork or a potato masher until mostly broken down.
- Mix in celery, red onion, lemon juice, chutney, mustard, and mayonnaise. Season with salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust flavours if desired.
- Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard on half of the baguette and mayonnaise on the other half. Spoon a generous layer of the chickpea smash on the bottom baguette then top with lettuce, cucumber slices, and sandwich with the remaining baguette. Use a bread knife to cut into 3 to 4 smaller sandwiches. Best enjoyed within the day!